Canada is a great place to visit if you want to see and do a lot of things. There are cities, such as Vancouver and Winnipeg, where wandering around and seeing the sights is a joy. If you’re looking for adventure, there are stunning rivers, lakes, and forests just waiting to be discovered! Learn how to apply for a Canada Visitor Visa from Ghana – both online and in person – as well as the processing time at the Canadian visa application center, flight itinerary, and the Canada visitor visa application process in this post.
Canadian Embassy in Ghana Visa Requirement
If you want to go to Canada, it’s easy to apply for a visa from Ghana. You can do this in 1 of 2 ways:
- Online – the website of website of Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has everything you need to get your visa
- In-person – apply at VFS Global based in Accra
Types of visas for Canada
There are different types of visas available if you want to go to Canada. They are called Temporary Resident Visas and the one you need will depend on the reason for traveling to Canada and how long you want to go for:
- Visitor visa – for tourism, visiting family/friends or conducting business for up to 6 months
- Parent and grandparent super visa – if you are visiting your children/grandchildren for up to 2 years
- Transit visa – if you are connecting between 2 international flights, in less than 48 hours
You can find further information about the types of visas on the IRCC website.
Visas are usually issued as:
- Single entry
- Multiple entry
Single entry means you will be allowed to enter Canada once before the visa expires. Multiple entry means you can enter Canada as many times as you wish before expiry of the visa.
The Canada Visitor Visa Application Process
Processing times vary depending on the country you are applying from. Applications from Ghana take 125 days to process. However, it could take longer depending on the type of visa you are applying for, whether you need to provide more information and/or documents and the time it takes for your application to be sent to the main visa office (if applying at your local visa application center).
It is up to you to apply well in advance of your departure date, otherwise, you may have to delay your trip!
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa from Ghana
As mentioned above, you may apply for a Canada visitor visa online or in-person. Before you decide, consider the benefits if you apply online:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time
- Online applications may be processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays
- You can submit additional documents online if required
- No need to submit your passport immediately
- Get updates on the status of your application
Whether you apply online or in-person, there are 4 steps which you must follow:
- Gather documents
- Complete the application
- Pay the fees
- Submit the application – either electronically (online application) or at the visa office (paper/in-person application)
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa online
Go to the website of IRCC and click on “Menu” – “Immigration and citizenship” – “Visit”:
Under “Services and information”, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
Click on “Apply”:
Scroll down to “How do you want to apply” and choose “Online” and click on “Get instructions”:
On the next page, there is a link for the instruction guide which will guide you through the application process. If you are happy to get started, click on “Apply for a visitor visa”:
You will have to create an account:
Then, you can sign in and begin your application:
After you have finished the online application, you will be asked to pay the fees and upload your documents.
How to apply for a Canada visitor visa in-person
To apply in-person, you will submit your application to VFS Global. There are 7 steps to follow:
- Step 1 – Identify visa type
- Step 2 – Begin your application
- Step 3 – Book an appointment
- Step 4 – Pay the fees
- Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
- Step 6 – Track your application
- Step 7 – Collect your passport
Go to VFS Global’s website and where it says “Apply for a visa” click on “Start now”:
Step 1 – Identify visa type
Click on the relevant link to find out what visa you need for your trip:
Step 2 – Begin your application
You can complete your application form by:
- Downloading it – click on the link for the application form and choose IMM 5257 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa. You still need to print the completed form along with 2 copies of the 2D barcode:
- Apply online and submit the form electronically
Step 3 – Book an appointment
If you are required to provide biometrics, it is mandatory to book an appointment. If you have provided biometrics within the last 10 years and are simply handing over your application to be processed, there is no need to make an appointment. To check whether you need to provide biometric data, go to the website of IRCC.
Making appointments with the visa application center is generally free and can be done yourself. However, If you are running short of time or not sure where to apply to or have no idea on how to get this done yourself then not to worry, we will make the appointment for you for a small service fee!
Booking a visa appointment using our services is pretty simple! All you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the link to schedule the visa appointment
- Submit the appointment details, visa you are applying for, visa office you need the appointment for, the country you need the appointment IN and make the payment
- Receive appointment confirmation in email
You can also make an appointment on your own by following the steps below:
Go to VFS Global’s website and book your appointment in one of the following ways:
- Online – click on the link for scheduling an appointment
- By telephone – call the helpline number: +2330501295270/+2330501295273
- By email – use the webform
- By Webchat – click on “Chat now”
- In-person – you can visit the visa application center in-person
Step 4 – Pay the fees
You will pay for the visa application processing fee and the biometric fee at the same time. The fees must be paid before you submit your application online or when you attend your appointment at the visa application center. Fees are subject to change at any time and will not be refunded even if your application is rejected.
|Type of Visa||Can $||USD||GHS|
|Visitor visa (including super visa) – per person
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa
|Visitor visa – per family (1 fee per family of 5 or more people)
Single or multiple entry temporary resident visa. Maximum fee for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time and place
|Biometrics (per person)||$85||65||340|
|Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)
Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place
VFS Global has a range of other services such as courier services and photocopying. For further information, check out their website.
How to pay the fees for your application
Click on the link which you’ll find on the visa website:
You will be directed to IRCC’s website where you can pay the fees online:
If you are unable to make online payments, you can pay the fee at the visa application center.
Step 5 – Visit the visa application center
On the day you visit the application center to submit your documents and/or provide biometric data, there are a number of things that will happen:
- You will hand over your application and supporting documents
- Provide a scan of your fingerprints and have your photo taken (if you are providing biometrics)
- You will also pay the fees (if you have not done so online) and receive a receipt with a unique number which you can use to track your application.
Remember the following things:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes ahead of schedule
- Take a printed copy of your visa application, 2D barcoded sheets (2 copies), passport bio page (2 copies), as well as a valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides
- Take the Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL) (if you have applied online)
If you turn up at the center without everything you need, you may have to make a new appointment. Make sure you are prepared to avoid disappointment!
Step 6 – Track your application
You can track your application in the following ways:
- On VFS Global’s website
- Webchat: Chat Now
- Email: [email protected]
- Helpline number: +2330501295270/+2330501295273
- Visit the visa application center in-person
Step 7 – Collect your passport
After a visa application decision has been made, you can pick up your documents from VFS Global or have them returned to you by courier for an additional fee. See their website for costs.
If you are collecting the decision envelope from VFS Global in-person, you must provide the following:
- A copy of your passport’s biographic page
- The visa application center services receipt
- A form of government identification
It is your responsibility to make sure the visa issued is correct. If there are any discrepancies, you should tell the visa application center immediately to avoid potential problems when you arrive in Canada.
Whether you are applying online or in-person, there is a list of required documents that you will need to submit with your visa application. There is a document checklist you can refer to. Documents include
- Temporary Resident Visa application form – IMM 5257 – fully completed and signed
- Passport – valid for the duration of your stay in Canada and for at at least 6 months past your trip and with 2 blank pages.
- Copy of the passport biodata page
- 2 photos which are in line with the photo specifications. They must be signed, dated and taken within the last 6 months. Write your name and date of birth on the back
- Proof of legal right to remain in the country of residence
- Travel authorization letter (if the applicant is a minor) including parent (s) passport
- Visa fee
It is important to note that further documents may be required depending on where you are applying from.
Applicants from Ghana need to submit other specific documents. To find these documents, go to the “Apply online” page and click on “Read the instruction guide”:
Go to the “Gather documents” section and click on “Application for a visitor visa”:
Scroll down to “Select a country/territory” choose Ghana and click on “Get documents”:
It is important that you get the documents for the country you are applying from. There are different documents for each country and if you don’t include these, your application may be rejected.
On the next page, click on “Visa office instructions – Visit (IMM 5854)”:
You will then be directed to the visa office instruction document:
Remember! The above document must be used in conjunction with the document checklist IMM 5484 and it needs to be placed on top of your application pack.
You should read the instructions carefully! Additional documents for applications from Ghana include:
- An explanation of the purpose of your trip – details of your itinerary indicating length of stay, destination and contacts
- Provisional airline booking
- Visiting family/friends – letter of invitation and host’s passport/proof of residency; host’s evidence of income, proof of employment and proof of funds
- Proof of sufficient funds/financial support – bank statements, payslips or other proof of income such as pension income. If you are not paying for your own trip, provide a letter signed by the person paying along with their passport and bank statement and proof of relationship
- If you are traveling for business/attending a conference – proof of invitation, registration and hotel confirmation
- Family Information form IMM 5707 – fully completed, dated and signed
- Schedule 1 form – Application for Temporary Resident Visa – IMM 5257B – if you answered “yes” to any of the background questions on the application form
- Evidence of previous travel – previous passports OR a list of your international travels over the last 5 years
- Proof of employment – employer’s letter (no older than 2 months stating occupation, job description, salary, allowances, years of employment and authorized leave dates along with payslips (last 3 months)
- Proof of current studies – letter and transcript
- Birth and marriage certificates for each family member – whether or not they are applying for a visa
- VFS Consent form
- For business travel – a letter from your employer indicating the purpose of your travel, your itinerary and who will cover the costs. Plus, a letter from the Canadian business confirming the duration of your trip and nature of your business
If you’re planning to obtain your flight reservation for visa without paying for the ticket, all you have to do is follow the 3 simple steps below:
- Visit the Visa Reservation website to choose the right package
- Submit the travel details and make the payment online
- Receive flight itinerary in email
Originals and copies of all documents are required and you must also include a certified translation for any document that is not in English or French.
Before you hand over your application, check that it is complete and that all the required documents are there! Taking time to do this will ensure your chances of getting your visa application approved are higher.
After you submit your documents
Once you have handed over your application, the visa office will check that it is complete. If anything is missing, it will be returned to you without being processed.
If the application is complete, it will be assessed and if the visa office needs any more information and/or documents from you, they will contact you to discuss this. You may also be called in for an interview. If this happens, don’t worry, the visa office is simply trying to ascertain all the facts for a fair decision to be made.
Once a decision has been reached, you will be notified of the outcome. Your visa will either be approved or rejected. If it is approved, you will receive your passport with the visa attached to one of the pages. If it has been rejected, you will receive your passport with a letter explaining why it was denied.
The following reasons may result in a rejected application:
- Documents missing from the visa office instructions – remember there are 2 checklists. The general document checklist and the visa office instructions. Refer to both of these when you are gathering your documents for your application
- Your passport does not have any blank pages – your passport needs at least 2 blank pages for your visa to be attached. If it doesn’t, you will need to get a new one before applying for your visa
- No family information form – this is a standard document that must be included with your application, so don’t forget to do this
- Criminal activity – if the visa office finds out that you were involved in criminal activity in the past, it could affect your chance to travel to Canada now or in the future
Contact details for VFS Global
Address: Canada Visa Application Centre, International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ghana, Baptist Convention House, Abelenkpe Road, Abelemkpe, Accra, Ghana
Email: [email protected]
Helpline Number: +2330501295270 / +2330501295273
|Business hours||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16.30|
|Passport collection||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16.30|
|Walk-in hours||Monday to Friday||08:00 – 16.30|
1. Who is VFS Global?
VFS Global is a company authorized by IRCC to operate the visa application center in Ghana
2. What can I do in Canada with a visitor visa?
You can visit Canada for tourism, visiting family/friends or conducting business
3. I want to apply in-person, where can I submit my visa application?
You may submit your application to VFS Global located in your area
4. Do I need to provide biometric data each time I apply for a visa?
No, you only provide biometric data if you have not done so in the last 10 years
5. Can I track my application?
Yes, you can use the unique tracking number which will be given to you when you submit your application to find out how your application is progressing
6. Do I need to make an appointment?
Only if you have to provide biometric data. If not, you do not need to make an appointment
7. What fees do I need to pay?
You will pay for the visa processing fee and the biometric fee
8. How can I pay the fees?
You pay the fees online at IRCC with a credit or debit card. If you are unable to pay online, you can do so at the visa application center. You should check with the office as to which payment methods are available
9. If I opt for additional services from VFS Global, how can I pay the fees?
You can pay for any additional services in cash or by mail. See VFS Global’s website for more information
10. How do I get my passport back?
You can choose to collect your passport from VFS Global or have it returned to you via courier
To apply for your Canada Visitor Visa online:
- Create an account
- Complete your application online
- Pay the fees
- Submit your application
If you are applying for Canada visa from Ghana in-person then follow the steps below:
- Gather your documents
- Complete your application form
- Make an appointment (if biometrics are required)
- Pay the fee
- Submit your application
The Canadian embassy will never turn down if you follow these steps
To do your masters and other relating to school, it’s important to apply for a scholarship.
Follow me on Twitter for more travel abroad updates and tips
Good day my Bro and Sis,.
I will make available all of the essential documentation and requirements for traveling to various European countries (visa application and other procedures), as well as scholarships and schools.
After reading, you can phone or PM for any assistance.
— Boabeng (@Naspisco) October 1, 2021
How To Get Getfund Scholarship 2021,Local Scholarship Application For 2020/21 Academic Year